Waste is the excess of individual regular activities and, or natural processes in solid form. Waste is classified into two categories, namely organic and inorganic waste. Restaurant waste is known as organic waste because of its biodegradable character in nature. Waste is one of the main issues in Indonesia that got no resolution continuously. On average, Indonesian people produce around 2.5 liters of waste per day. Based on its composition, dominated by organic waste around 58%, and the remaining 42% is inorganic waste. One of the uses of waste, especially restaurant waste, is that it has utilization in the fields of agriculture, livestock, and fisheries. One of the uses of restaurant waste in fisheries is its application as a feed ingredient. However, giving restaurant waste directly as fish feed doesn’t provide optimal fish growth due to its nutritional content as the low protein and high crude fiber. Fermentation is the process of breaking down organic compounds into simpler compounds by involving microorganisms. Fermentation can increase the nutritional value of restaurant waste and gives additional function as a fish feed component. The nutritional value of fermented restaurant waste is 29.72% protein, 4.81% crude fiber, and 16.09% fat. The use of restaurant waste is known in various studies such as feed ingredients for catfish (Clarias sp.), Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus), Grass carp, Grey mullet (Mugil cephalus), livestock such as broiler chickens, and organic fertilizers.
Support the magazine and subscribe to the content
This is premium stuff. Subscribe to read the entire article.